For over a decade, The
Excitedly, I can report that we have placed the 1 millionth HFC-free cooler, using natural refrigerant, in the marketplace. This marks significant progress toward our 2015 system-wide goal for all new cold-drink equipment to be HFC-free. Reaching this goal is expected to prevent the emission of more than 50 million metric tons of CO2 over 10 years—equivalent to the annual emissions of more than 10 million passenger vehicles.
The natural refrigerant we selected for our new equipment is CO2, which eliminates 99% of direct emissions. Beyond our HFC-free achievements, our investment in sustainable refrigeration has made CO2 technology a commercially viable option for the cold drink and food equipment industry.That’s important because it’s going to take more than
And, it’s going to take more than a focus on sustainable refrigeration to meet our broader goal set by the Company to reduce the carbon footprint of "the drink in your hand” by 25 percent by 2020. This work includes reducing greenhouse gas emissions across the entire value chain of our products—from manufacturing processes to packaging formats to delivery fleet to ingredient sourcing and to, of course, refrigeration. One million placements are indeed worthy of a celebratory cheer but as always, there’s more work to do!
is Climate Protection Director at The
More on Journey
- Environment and Water: Twitter Chat Next Wednesday, July 10, at 9:30 a.m. ET
- Limca Book of Records in India Recognizes Persons With Disabilities, Publishes First Braille Edition
- Container Deposit Schemes – Not as Simple as They Sound
- How PureCircle is Investing in Growing Stevia – and Farmer Incomes – Sustainably
- Lunch With Muhtar Kent: eBay Auction Helps Raise $200,000 for (RED)