Our latest artist-curated playlist on Spotify is brought to you by US rapper Asher Roth.
After a five-year hiatus since his last official album release, followed by a slew of impressive mixtapes, Asher Roth is back with second LP Retrohash, which is released this week.
The albums’ first singles ‘Tangerine Girl’ and ‘Fast Life’, indicate a seemingly different sound to the now LA based rapper’s debut album Asleep In The Bread Isle, and it’s breakout single ‘I Love College’.
His new music, which draws from eclectic array of influences, is perhaps best summed up by the album’s title, and this playlist…
We asked Asher Roth more about the new album, and what happiness looks like for him this year.
1. It’s been 5 years since your last official album release. How has your sound developed since Asleep In The Bread Isle?
It's all part of growing up. My interests are different than they were 5 years ago. I've had experiences, conversations and defining moments that have helped me build on the relationship I have with myself. All those experiences directly influence the music I make. As I grow my music grows.
2. In your video for ‘Fast Life’, you walk around handing out messages to people on the streets of LA. What is the underlying message to your music on the new album?
I'd say the underlying message of 'RetroHash' is freedom.
3. Talk us through the songs on your Spotify playlist and why you chose
There's a little bit of everything on there. Songs that hold a special place in my heart and songs that I think evoke happiness. I chose them because of my relationship with music in general. Joints like Sergio Mendes - Magalehna represent a really happy time in my life.
4. We believe that happiness is better shared, please can you pick a song from your playlist and tell us who you’d like to share it with?
The Zombies – ‘This Will Be Our Year' should be shared with all the people who've had my back these last 5 years.
5. Lastly, what does happiness look like for you in 2014?
Man, happiness looks like a clear sky, a good crowd, a cold beverage and an outdoor stage.
More on Journey
- The Sounds of Happiness: Listen to Theme Park’s Spotify Playlist
- The Sounds of Happiness: Bipolar Sunshine's Spotify Playlist
- The Sights and Sounds of Coke Music: Design Lead Goes Behind the VIS
- Listen: Aloe Blacc, David Correy Team Up for New Version of ‘The World Is Ours’
- Spotify and Coca-Cola Partner to Share Music with the World