The inaugural ILSI Malaspina International Scholars Travel Awards were presented to 10 young scientists from around the world last month at the 2015 ILSI Annual Meeting in Phoenix, Ariz.
Dr. Malaspina founded ILSI in 1978 as a nonprofit organization to advance scientific understanding of nutrition, food safety, toxicology, risk assessment and the environment. He envisioned prominent researchers from industry, government and academia leading the organization, guiding its work to conduct research, harmonizing the use of science and encouraging scientific dialogue.
He started ILSI to spearhead an effort to unite the food industry. Before retiring as president of ILSI in 2001, Dr. Malaspina wanted to ensure a good endowment was in place to fund a research foundation to support the ILSI mission.
Coca-Cola senior leaders were instrumental in supporting Dr. Malaspina as he established a $22 million endowment for the foundation. More than 35 years later, ILSI is still delivering on its promise. It is now a truly global organization, with 15 regional branches that help ensure food safety and nutrition science advancement in various regions around the world.
To honor Dr. Malaspina’s passion for nurturing promising scientific talent,
At a special dinner event hosted by
The awards support travel for early-career, academic scientists – in the areas of nutrition, food safety, toxicology, risk assessment or the environment – to the ILSI Annual Meeting, a scientific forum held each January.
The 10 honorees were:
- Bani Tamber Aeri, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, University of Delhi, India
- Clinton Allred, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition & Food Science, Texas A&M University, U.S.
- Marisa Armeno, M.D., Pediatrician in the Nutrition Department, National Pediatric Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Graham Finlaynson, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Leeds, U.K.
- Benjamin Kumah Mintah, M.Sc., Food Safety Educator, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Ghana, Ghana
- Siti Muslimatun, Ph.D., Faculty Member and Researcher, The Indonesia International Institute for Life Sciences, Indonesia
- Yukiko Nakanishi, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Health and Nutrition, University of Human Arts and Sciences, Japan
- Zvonimir Šatalić, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Faculty of Food Technology and Biotechnology, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- Anderson de Souza Sant’Ana, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Food Science, University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Krista Varady, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology & Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, U.S.
Dr. Wamwari Waichungo, vice president, Global Scientific and Regulatory Affairs, said, “It was a privilege to establish these awards and host this event honoring Dr. Malaspina and his ILSI legacy.”
More on Journey
Coca-ColaPhilippines 5by20 Partnership with DOLE featured in UNCSW61 Forum
- DASANI Rolls Out Multipacks With Smaller Bottles
- Say That Again? Coke's Dialect-o-Mate is the Voice of Summer in Sweden
- Coca-Cola Celebrates Past, Present and Future of Crete With Limited-Edition Bottle
Coca-ColaBottle Named Product of the Year in Bulgaria