For many, a recycling bin is just a blue box where they put their empty bottles and cans. But for others, recycling is more than that. It’s a source of pride for their community. It shows that they are taking steps to reduce their impact on the environment and protect natural resources for future generations. A recycling bin may also represent jobs. Recycling provides 1.1 million jobs in the US according to the EPA. The blue bins can mean money. Communities often profit from selling the recyclable materials to help make something new – like Coke bottles or EKOCYCLE products.
just a few of the reasons why recycling is important to
This Earth Day, in partnership with Keep America Beautiful, we are donating more than 55,000 recycling bins. These bins will increase access to recycling at parks, schools, colleges and homes in 115 communities across the US. Like in Chicago, where our donation will help Mayor Emanuel provide new recycling carts to homes citywide. At Muskegon Community College in Michigan where there will now be recycling in the student union. Also, in Texarkana, Arkansas people will be able to recycle while playing at their local park.
access to recycling is not new for
More on Journey
- Recycling Bins and a Partnership Help Improve Communities
- Making Recycling Fun and Profitable
- Coke's Recyclable Plastic Bottle Wins Award (Infographic)
- Youth Empowerment in Action: Global Shaper Reflects on Her WEF Africa Experience
- Environment and Water: Twitter Chat Next Wednesday, July 10, at 9:30 a.m. ET