Taking control of our next ‘happy’ themed playlists on Spotify is UK band Amber Run. The five-piece, originally from Nottingham, recently signed to RCA Records and are currently recording their debut album.
Amber Run’s single, ‘Spark’ is released on April 20th.
The band are on their first ever headline tour, fresh from supporting Kodaline on their series of UK shows. We caught up with the guys to talk us through their playlist choices and to find out what the rest of 2014 holds in store for them.
1. For someone who doesn't know Amber Run, could you describe your sound?
We are five guys who love making music. We never set out to sound like a specific genre, but if we were to link our music with other bands I would say Coldplay and Arcade Fire. However, we love cinematic soundscapes so we have always been influenced by the likes of Sigur Ros and Thomas Newman.
2. What's the happiest song you've ever written?
Our new single ‘Spark’ is about small beginnings and developing into something great. It’s convenient the answer to the question is an opportunity to plug our single!
3.Tell us about the tracks on your playlist and why you chose them?
There is a huge amount of variety on this playlist and music from many decades apart. We each chose 6/7 tracks each. Some songs are happy for variety of reasons. For example, although it could be a cliché song for the Happy playlist, ‘Praise You’ by Fatboy Slim, that song has the ability to get anyone throwing some serious moves on the dance floor. Then we have the more beautiful lyrical songs such as ‘Mrs Robinson’. Different elements of songs bring out happiness.
4. Do you listen to anything that your fans might find surprising?
This is where I (Felix) can reveal all…. Will loves his Drum and Bass and all the other boots and cats genres. Tom is a huge Brand New fan. Henry loves ‘70s prog rock bands like ‘YES’. I have a guilty pleasure for niche grunge and experimental music. Joe listens to and loves anything by Coldplay.
5. We think happiness is better shared, can you pick a song from your playlist and tell us who you'd want to share it with?
It’s predictable this, but I think our mothers would love ‘Happy’ By The Rolling Stones. We love our mums.
6. 2014 looks set to be a big year for you, is there anything in particular you're looking forward to?
We have had some amazing opportunities this year and we always look forward to every show and every activity. We are all so excited to be touring with Kodaline and playing the Big Tent at Isle of Wight Festival. Those are some of our biggest shows in the pipeline and we cannot wait. Every show is fun whether there are 10 people or 1,000 people, its always fun.
More on Journey
- Discover a World of New Music With '52 Songs of Happiness'
- Spotify and Coca-Cola Partner to Share Music with the World
- What Happiness Sounds Like: Spotify Playlist by Island Records
- The Sounds of Happiness: Listen to Theme Park’s Spotify Playlist
- Hear the Places That Inspire Youngblood Hawke’s Music