Another Coletivo Model is Coletivo Recycling, which supports recycling cooperatives in becoming self-sustaining businesses by providing investment in materials, infrastructure and life skills training. Coletivo Recycling, which is active in 330 communities across 22 states in Brazil, has 10,000 cooperative members, whose incomes have increased by 17 percent since 2002 with the program’s guidance. In addition to increased productivity, the program elevates self-esteem due to improved work conditions, and instills a sense of dignity and honor associated with the profession.
Linked closely to Coletivo Recycling is the Coletivo Arts course, with training for groups of artisans to improve designs skills and help develop a range of handcrafted items made from recycled beverage container materials. Management training also is provided so students can build businesses as well as access to markets to sell their products. Coletivo Arts participants have realized a 50 percent increase since 2011 in family income.
and Coletivo Arts contribute to
More On Journey
- Collaborative Partnerships to Help Increase Recycling Rates
- Project Last Mile: Partnership Expands to Deliver Medicines in 10 African Countries
- EKOCYCLE, 3D Systems Donate New 3D Printers to FIRST at White House Maker Faire
- Project Last Mile Through the Eyes of a Coke Intern
- Happy Anniversary: Coke, WWF Celebrate Progress for the Planet