Add style to your braised pork with this recipe brought to you by Atlanta Motor Speedway.
NOTE: We invite our U.S.
readers to join us on the new My Coke Rewards to experience more ways to be
rewarded for your love of
- 2 Pounds pork shoulder, cut into 6 large chunks
- 1 Dash Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup red wine
- 2 Cans Cherry Coke
- 1 bunch parsley stems, tied with string
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Cup beef broth
- Total Time: 3 hr 35 min
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 15 min
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pat the pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and working in batches brown the meat on all sides until a golden crust forms.
- Transfer the pork to a plate.
- To the pan add the onion, celery, and carrot and sweat until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sweat another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes to cook off the raw flavor. Sprinkle with the flour and cook another 2 minutes to cook off its raw flavor.
- Whisk in the wine and reduce it by half.
- Return the pork to the Dutch Oven, then stir in the beef broth, parsley stems, and bay leaves.
- Add the Cherry Coke if liquid does not come up to the top of the pork. Do not cover the pork with liquid.
- Cover the pan and place it in the oven to braise until the meat is fork tender, about 3 hours.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Pull meat apart to create pulled-pork sandwiches.