The best birthdays begin with a cake that contains favorite treats including devil's food mix, cola, chocolate chips, powdered Chocolate drink and fresh strawberries.
- 1 devil's food cake mix (18.5-ounce) (see note)
- 2 Tablespoons grated orange peel
- .5 Cups semisweet chocolate chips (about half of a 6-ounce package)
- 12 large fresh, ripe strawberries, preferably unhulled
- .5 Cups butter or margarine, softened
- 1 package confectioners' sugar (16-ounce)
- 3 Tablespoons powdered chocolate drink mix such as Nestle's Quik
- 1.5 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Prep Time: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Heat oven to 350°F; grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
Cake: Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using 1 1/3 cups
Coca-Colain place of water and stirring 1 tablespoon grated orange peel in batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert cake onto wire rack cool completely.
- Cake may be made and stored, tightly wrapped, up to two days before decorating.
- Frosting: Stir chocolate chips in small heavy saucepan over very low heat until melted and smooth; remove from heat.
- Dip strawberries into chocolate to coat halfway, placing each berry as it is dipped on cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Refrigerate berries until ready to use.
- Cut cooled cake horizontally into 2 equal layers with sharp serrated knife; place bottom layer on large cookie sheet.
- Beat butter in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and chocolate drink mix until smooth.
Beat in 1/3 cup of remaining
Coca-Cola, remaining 1 tablespoon grated orange peel and vanilla until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Spread half of frosting over bottom cake layer; top with second layer.
- Swirl remaining frosting over top of cake.
- Cut cake into 12 portions; arrange on platter.
- Decorate with chocolate-dipped strawberries and birthday candles, if desired.
Note: For firmer cake, use one 16-ounce package of pound cake mix, stirring in 1/3 cup powdered chocolate drink mix along with grated orange peel. Use cola for the liquid; bake as directed.
Make 12 servings.
More On Journey
- Flourless Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- A Fruitcake You Won't Re-Gift: Everyone's Favorite Love-to-Hate Holiday Dessert, Updated
- A Very Sweet (Potato) Thanksgiving: 3 Creative Recipes For Your Holiday Table
- Slow Cooking with Coke: Six Easy-to-Make Recipes Just in Time for Fall