One of the classic combinations of flavors in Moroccan cooking is green olives and preserved lemons. In this hearty dish, turkey legs are slowly braised in liquid with an aromatic blend of spices and a basketful of vegetables. The sauce is meant to be quite soupy and is delicious over couscous. Moroccan food is full of flavor, but it’s not especially spicy . For an authentic hit of heat, stir in a little harissa, which is Moroccan chile sauce.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Pounds small turkey drumsticks (about 3), patted dry with bottom end removed, if necessary, to fit in slow cooker
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons ground coriander, plus ½ teaspoon additional at the end
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons ground cumin, plus ½ teaspoon additional
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup chicken stock, heated
Coca-Cola(at room temperature)
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 small preserved lemons, flesh and seeds removed, and chopped (about 2 ½ tablespoons)
- 8 Ounces baby carrots
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 Can (16-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4-1/2 Cups pitted small green olives or cut-up large olives
- 1/3 Cups chopped mint, plus mint leaves to garnish
- Total Time: 5 hr 30 min
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 4 hr 45 min
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the drumsticks and brown on all sides, turning to cook evenly, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Add the onion to the skillet and cook until it is starting to color, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and flour, cook for 30 seconds, then stir in the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, paprika and ginger. Add the hot stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the
Coca-Colaand about 1 teaspoon of salt and black pepper to taste. Scrape into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for about 15 minutes until the liquid begins to simmer. Turn the knob to slow/low (depending on your appliance) and cook for about 3 hours. Add the preserved lemons, carrots, bell pepper, zucchini and chickpeas. Recover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- Carefully take the drumsticks out of the pot, remove and discard the skin, bones and tendons.
- Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and return to the pot. Add the green olives, the remaining ½ teaspoon coriander and cumin and mint.
- Taste to adjust the seasonings and serve over couscous, garnished with a few mint leaves.