This spicy and exotic main dish is best when made the day before to allow the rich flavors to ripen. Serve with mixed green salad and a fruit dessert.
- 2.5 Pounds cut-up chicken or chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tart apple
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder (more for experienced palates)
- .33 Cups raisins
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 3.5 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup coffee cream or undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- .125 Teaspoons white pepper
- 1/2 Cups Celery tops
- 3 Cups Hot cooked rice
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Rinse chicken and cook in boiling salted water with a few celery tops.
- Cover and simmer about 1 hour or until fork-tender. Drain, saving strained broth.
- Remove chicken from bones and cut into 1/2-inch pieces to measure about 2 1/2 cups.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add peeled and diced apple, thinly sliced onion and curry powder, and sauté for 5 minutes, blending well.
Stir in raisins, 1 cup of the reserved chicken broth and
Coca-Cola. Mix flour with the cream, stirring until smooth.
- Add this mixture with the salt and pepper to the onion-apple mixture. Stir and cook over low heat until thick and creamy.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Add chicken and turn into a covered container to chill overnight.
- Reheat in top of double boiler over hot water and serve on hot cooked rice with a selection of condiments.
Makes 6 servings.
Provide a sampling of the following condiments for sprinkling on top of each serving: grated coconut, chopped peanuts, chopped raw onion, raisins, sweet pickle relish, chutney, chow chow or lime wedges.