Nearly $4 Million Pledged By The
ATLANTA, MAY 8, 2013 – Success begins at
home. To ignite The
with Governor Nathan Deal and Mayor Kasim Reed, we are inspiring our hometown
of Atlanta and home state of Georgia to be active,” said Muhtar Kent, Chairman
and CEO, The
The Foundation has pledged $3.8 million to support statewide initiatives to help get people active and enjoy a balanced lifestyle, including Georgia SHAPE and Walk Georgia initiatives. Georgia SHAPE, Governor Deal’s strategy to address childhood obesity, is using the additional funding to increase the time children are active before, during and after school. The program will also include nutrition education curricula for Georgia schools.
Walk Georgia was created by The University of Georgia’s Cooperative Extension Service. This initiative focuses on community-oriented physical activity programs customized by community members. Participants can engage in a variety of activities such as dancing, cycling and gardening and convert those actions into steps. Those steps are converted into miles. As participants accumulate miles, they virtually move across a map of the state, viewing fun facts about each county visited and learning new ways to improve health.
our strategic goals for the state is to reduce childhood obesity and encourage
healthy lifestyles through preventive care, disease care and early
intervention,” said Governor Deal. “Working
A $1 million grant to the Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta supports the City of Atlanta’s Centers of Hope program. The program, which also serves at-risk youth, brings physical activity, leadership development, nutrition education and academic enrichment to almost 2,000 young Atlantans. Through the grant, the program will expand from its two pilot locations to 10 of the City’s recreation centers. The initiative has a multi-generational strategy, offering additional resources for parents to receive their GED certification, along with parenting and nutrition education workshops.
“Investing in Atlanta’s youth through programs designed to teach them about the importance of wellness and physical fitness in a safe, structured learning environment is one of my top priorities,” said Mayor Kasim Reed. “This generous grant to support the Centers of Hope enables the City of Atlanta to expand its successful pilot program at the Thomasville and Adamsville Recreation Centers into a sustainable, community-based initiative for young people.”
Additional Georgia grant recipients include:
- The PATH Foundation, Make the Connection Campaign, $500,000
- YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta and its branches, Empowering Healthy Living, $75,000
- Atlanta BeltLine Partnership, Healthy Atlanta BeltLine, $100,000
- Piedmont Park, Kids Get Active, $30,000
- Soccer In The Streets, Expanded Opportunities, $75,000
- Ryan Cameron Foundation, Healthy Lifestyle, $25,000
Earlier today, The
- Offer low- or no-calorie beverage options in every market;
- Provide transparent nutrition information, featuring calories on the front of all of our packages
- Help get people moving by supporting physical activity programs in every country where we do business
- Market responsibly, including no advertising to children under 12 anywhere in the world
About the State of Georgia
For more information about the state of Georgia, please visit http://georgia.gov. Follow GeorgiaGov on Facebook and Twitter @georgiagov. For additional information about the Office of the Governor, please visit http://gov.georgia.gov. Follow Governor Nathan Deal on Facebook and Twitter @GovernorDeal.
About the City of Atlanta
For more information about the City of Atlanta, please visit http://www.atlantaga.gov or watch City Channel 26. Follow the City of Atlanta on Facebook and Twitter @cityofatlanta. Follow Mayor Reed on Facebook and Twitter @KasimReed.
Since its inception, The
More On Journey
- Who Knew Bottles Could Feel So Soft? India's First Bottles-to-Fiber Recycling Operation
- Ready, Set, Run: 2,000+ Coke Employees Take Off at World's Largest Road Race
- Boys & Girls Club Teens Report on FIFA World Cup Experience
July 4 with NASCAR, Share a Coke Zero and
Coca-ColaFamily Track Walks
- Paving a New Path Forward in Myanmar: ‘Swan Yi’ Arms Women Entrepreneurs With Financial Literacy and Business Skills