We recognize marine litter is a global problem affecting the world’s oceans and we agree that action is needed. We are open to doing more where it is feasible and engaging in constructive dialogue, working with others to create long-term, effective solutions. Addressing such a vast environmental challenge requires collaboration across industries, NGOs, governments, and communities.
With regard to the statements about our packaging performance and footprint within the Greenpeace report, we would like to clarify a few things:
- We have set industry-leading goals for our system around recovery of packaging introduced in the marketplace (75% in developed markets, 50% globally), currently recovering an estimated 59% of the equivalent bottles and cans we put into the marketplace.
- Coca-Cola was one of the first beverage companies to introduce recycled PET (rPET) into a beverage package in 1991 and we continue to increase the use of rPET in markets where it is feasible and approved for regulatory food-grade use (44 countries of the more than 200 we operate in).
- The Coca-Cola system buys approximately 20% of the global food-grade rPET supply available in the marketplace. A number of our operations source more than 20% of their total PET material from recycled PET: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Mexico, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Some regions are setting goals for rPET use now through 2020 as well. In many markets, we compete for the rPET resin with multiple industries (textiles, other packaging types, etc.).
- In 2014–2015, the Coca-Cola system helped open new rPET production plants or production lines in China, Japan, Taiwan, South Africa, Ecuador, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Mexico.
- Our PET, glass and aluminum packaging is 100% recyclable.
- Coca-Cola introduced the first PET plastic beverage bottle made of up to 30% renewable, plant-based material in 2009.
- We will consider disclosing global plastic use data based on continued discussions with Greenpeace.
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Continues Progress in North American Refranchising, Including Launches of Two New Bottlers
- The Coca-Cola Company Announces Senior Leadership Appointments
- The Coca-Cola Company Announces Timing of Earnings Release and Investor Conference Call
- 2017 Annual Meeting of Shareowners Preliminary Vote Results
- "Share a Coke" Returns with More Names, More Flavors and More Ways to Enjoy Ice-Cold Summer Refreshment