The Coca-Cola Foundation Awards $2.85 Million to Support Healthy Living Programs and the USO
ATLANTA - As the summer heats up, so does The Coca-Cola Foundation in its support of the United Services Organization (USO) and active living and nutrition programs across the nation.
As part of its second-quarter grants, the philanthropic arm of The Coca-Cola Company has awarded $1.6 million to support fitness and healthy living programs in local communities in the U.S.
The Foundation also awarded $1.25 million to the USO's Operation Enduring Care program. Over the next five years, the grant will fund ongoing programming focused on three crucial areas for our nation's wounded warriors: physical health and recreation; mental health and family strengthening; and education, employment and community integration.
"One of our Foundation's priorities is to build sustainable communities by encouraging individuals, families and communities to live active, healthy lifestyles," said Lori George Billingsley, Vice President, Community Relations, Coca-Cola Refreshments. "We support invaluable organizations that provide access to exercise, physical activity and nutritional education programs. Through our grant to the USO, we continue to expand our long-standing support of America's heroes and their families."
In addition to the USO grant, other organizations receiving grants in the U.S. include:
- American Diabetes Association, Live Empowered, $100,000
- American Diabetes Association, Diabetes Education & Outreach in Latino Community, $25,000
- American Dietetic Association Foundation, Kids Eat Right, $100,000
- America's State Parks Foundation, Youth Ambassador Recruitment, $50,000
- The Armory Foundation, Armory College Prep, $50,000
- Big Sur International Marathon, Just Run, $50,000
- CAN DO Houston , Let's Move in Magnolia Park, $25,000
- Children's Medical Center Foundation, Center for Obesity, $25,000
- Good Sports, Youth Sports & Fitness Programs, $200,000
- Grand Teton National Park Foundation, Youth Conservation Program, $25,000
- Illinois African American Coalition for Prevention, Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It! (MEND), $100,000
- National Black Nurses Association, Preventive Health Action Team "PHAT", $100,000
- Portland After School Tennis & Education, Inc., Eat Wise & Exercise, $25,000
- Put Your Dukes Up Foundation, Inc., Chachersize Academic Burst Curriculum, $25,000
- Share Our Strength, No Kid Hungry: New York City 2012 Summer Meals Initiative, $50,000
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Exercise Study, $300,000
- University of South Carolina Educational Foundation, School-Based Childhood Obesity Prevention Program, $200,000
- Vive en Forma, Vive en Forma, $100,000
- YMCA of Greater New York, Food & Fun/Move to Improve, $50,000
About The Coca-Cola Foundation
The Coca-Cola Foundation awarded more than $70 million to 263 community organizations around the world in 2011 to support sustainable community initiatives, including water stewardship, community recycling, active, healthy living, and education. For more information about The Coca-Cola Foundation, please go to www.
About the USO
The USO (United Service Organizations) lifts the spirits of America's troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors and their families and the families of the fallen. The USO is a private, nonprofit organization, not a government agency. All of our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
More on Journey
- Millennials Fostering Peace in Bogotá, Colombia Awarded Grant from The Coca-Cola Company
- Top Five Things You Won’t Want to Miss at Coca-Cola Store Orlando
- "It's Beautiful" Commercial
- The Board of Directors of The Coca-Cola Company Announces 55th Consecutive Annual Dividend Increase
- The Coca-Cola Company Announces Timing of Earnings Release and Investor Conference Calls