ATLANTA, May 24, 2016 – The Coca-Cola Company today announced a new streamlined international structure to better align its operating units against its global bottling footprint and to promote and develop key Coca-Cola leaders.
“Today’s announcement outlines important changes to our international operating structure that better support our evolving bottler footprint and demonstrate the deep bench of management experience we are fortunate to have in the Coca-Cola system,” said Muhtar Kent, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “These moves will continue to lay the foundation for strong leadership and management continuity.”
President and Chief Operating Officer James Quincey added: “As we continue to implement our five strategic actions for growth, it is critical that our organizational structure enables the speed, agility and inspirational leadership that are necessary to win today and in the future. The changes we are announcing today streamline our international structure, and reflect strong talent succession and a commitment to developing the next generation of leaders at our company.”
International operating structure and leadership changes, effective Aug. 1 (unless otherwise noted), include:
Europe, Middle East and Africa Group
The company will form a Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) Group, consisting of the business units that currently make up the Europe and the Eurasia and Africa Groups.
In Europe, the Central and Southern Europe and Russia, Ukraine and Belarus business units will be combined into a new business unit – Central and Eastern Europe – to better support the bottling footprint in that region.
In Africa, two business units will be reconfigured to more closely align operations with bottling operations on the continent, with the formation of a new South and East Africa business unit and a West Africa business unit.
Smith’s leadership team will include:
- Dan Sayre, who will continue as President, Western Europe;
- Nikos Koumettis, who will expand his existing role to become President, Central and Eastern Europe;
- Kelvin Balogun, currently President Central, East and West Africa (CEWA), who will become President, South and East Africa;
- Zoran Vucinic, currently President, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, who will become President, Middle East and North Africa;
- Galya Molinas, who will continue in her role as President, Turkey, Caucasus and Central Asia; and
- Peter Njonjo, currently General Manager of the East Africa Franchise in CEWA, who will become president of the new West Africa Business Unit.
As the new EMEA Group is created, Nathan Kalumbu, currently President, Eurasia and Africa Group, will focus on key initiatives across the Africa business, including the Africa bottler consolidation, as well as serve on a number of boards, until he retires from the company effective Dec. 31, 2016.
Latin America Group
Rivera’s leadership team will include:
- Francisco Crespo, who will continue as President, Mexico;
- Henrique Braun, currently President, Greater China and Korea, who will become President, Brazil, effective Sept. 1;
- Therese Gearhart, currently President, Southern Africa, who will succeed Rivera as President, Latin Center;
- Joao Marcelo Ramires, currently Vice President – Franchise Operations, Brazil, who will become President, South Latin; and
- Xiemar Zarazua, currently President, Brazil, who will become Vice President, Strategic Ventures for Latin America, effective Sept. 1.
Asia Pacific Group
Murphy’s leadership team will include:
- Curt Ferguson, currently President, Middle East and North Africa, who will become President, Greater China and Korea effective Sept. 1;
- Iain McLaughlin, who will continue as President, ASEAN;
- Tim Brett, who will continue as President, Japan;
- Roberto Mercade; who will continue as President, South Pacific; and
- Venkatesh Kini, who will continue as President, India and Southwest Asia.
Atul Singh, currently President of the Asia Pacific Group, will transition to the role of Chairman, Asia Pacific Group. Singh will continue to focus on managing a number of key stakeholders, government relations, key merger and acquisition initiatives, as well as continuing to serve on a number of boards, until March 2017 when he will retire from the company.
More information on each of the leaders appointed today is available here.
The company’s Bottling Investments and North America groups are not impacted by today’s announcements.
About The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands and more than 3,800 beverage choices. Led by Coca-Cola, one of the world's most valuable and recognizable brands, our company's portfolio features 20 billion-dollar brands, 18 of which are available in reduced-, low- or no-calorie options. These brands include Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Zero, Fanta, Sprite, Dasani, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, Del Valle, Georgia and Gold Peak. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, we are the No. 1 provider of both sparkling and still beverages. More than 1.9 billion servings of our beverages are enjoyed by consumers in more than 200 countries each day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world's top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system associates. For more information, visit Coca-Cola Journey at www.coca-colacompany.com, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo, visit our blog, Coca-Cola Unbottled, at http://www.coca-colablog.com or find us on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/the-coca-cola-company.
More on Journey
- Millennials Fostering Peace in Bogotá, Colombia Awarded Grant from The Coca-Cola Company
- The Coca-Cola Company to Present at Consumer Analyst Group of New York Conference
- Continued Progress in Refranchising of North American Bottling Territories
- The Coca-Cola Company Congratulates China Bottling Partners on Significant Refranchising Milestone
- The Board of Directors of The Coca-Cola Company Announces 55th Consecutive Annual Dividend Increase