Community contributions equal 1.2 percent of company’s 2016 operating income
ATLANTA, Feb. 13, 2017 – The Coca-Cola Foundation and The Coca-Cola Company together donated more than US $106 million to more than 230 organizations in 2016. These contributions will directly benefit communities across more than 200 countries and territories, with approximately 97 percent of the grants focused on The Coca-Cola Company’s core sustainability priorities of women, water and community well-being.
The amount donated in 2016 equates to 1.2 percent of the company’s 2016 operating income, surpassing its public commitment to donate at least 1 percent of operating income annually. Since 1984, The Coca-Cola Foundation has given back approximately $909 million to organizations and communities across the world.
“It’s an honor to support the missions of so many deserving and impactful organizations,” said Helen Smith Price, President of The Coca-Cola Foundation and Vice President of Global Community Affairs for The Coca-Cola Company. “It’s only when we work together that we have the opportunity to change lives and create meaningful change in communities.”
The breakdown of 2016 contributions is as follows:
- The Coca-Cola Foundation awarded and paid $72 million in the following areas:
- $7 million to support women’s empowerment initiatives;
- $27 million to support water and environmental initiatives; and
- $38 million to support community strengthening initiatives including education, youth development, HIV/AIDS, arts and culture, and humanitarian/disaster relief.
- Additionally, The Coca-Cola Company donated $34 million in funding and in-kind product donations to community events and programs around the world.
About The Coca-Cola Foundation
The Coca-Cola Foundation is the global philanthropic arm of The Coca-Cola Company. Since its inception in 1984, the Foundation has awarded more than $900 million in grants to support sustainable community initiatives around the world. For more information about The Coca-Cola Foundation, please visit www.coca-colacompany.com/our-company/the-coca-cola-foundation.
About The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world's largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands and more than 3,800 beverage choices. Led by Coca-Cola, one of the world's most valuable and recognizable brands, our company’s portfolio features 20 billion-dollar brands, 18 of which are available in reduced-, low- or no-calorie options. Our billion-dollar brands include Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Zero, Fanta, Sprite, Dasani, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, DelValle, Georgia and Gold Peak. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, we are the No. 1 provider of both sparkling and still beverages. More than 1.9 billion servings of our beverages are enjoyed by consumers in more than 200 countries each day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world's top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system associates. For more information, visit Coca-Cola Journey at www.coca-colacompany.com, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo, visit our blog, Coca‑Cola Unbottled, at www.coca-colablog.com or find us on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/the-coca-cola-company.
More on Journey
- The Coca-Cola Company Reports First Quarter 2017 Results
- smartwater® and Jennifer Aniston Keep Moving Forward in New Advertising Campaign
- Marine Litter & PET Plastic Bottle Use
- The Coca-Cola Company to Present at Consumer Analyst Group of New York Conference
- The Coca-Cola Company Congratulates China Bottling Partners on Significant Refranchising Milestone