The Coca-Cola Foundation Awards $2.48 Million to Support Local Initiatives, One-Third to Active Living Programs
ATLANTA - Whether you kick a soccer ball on the field or take a walk through the park, physical activity is fundamental for a healthy lifestyle. Through new grants from The Coca-Cola Foundation, local organizations across the U.S. are getting a boost to their community health and wellness programming.
More than $710,000 will go towards programs that range from after-school nutrition curriculum to city-wide dance fitness education to outdoor education programs for children with serious illnesses.
One grant recipient, the U.S. Soccer Federation Foundation, will fund its Soccer for Success program in underserved neighborhoods in Seattle, Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago, Detroit, New York and Miami. Through physical activity, nutrition education, mentorship and family engagement Soccer for Success provides each participant with the tools to be healthy and productive.
With its third quarter grants, the philanthropic arm of The Coca-Cola Company has awarded a total of $4.09M towards active, healthy living programs in 2012.
"Regular physical activity and nutrition education have benefits beyond helping with energy balance," said Lori George Billingsley, Vice President, Community Relations, Coca-Cola Refreshments. "By supporting organizations that focus on fitness, nutrition education and balance, we're helping them create healthy habits within their communities. Together, we're building sustainable communities with brighter futures."
Other organizations receiving grants to support active living programs include:
- Association of C5 Youth Programs, Atlanta, GA , $50,000
- Camp Korey, Carnation, WA, $50,000
- The Center for Closing the Health Gap, Cincinnati, OH, $50,000
- The Center for Puppetry Arts, Inc., Atlanta, GA, $50,000
- Center Helping Obesity In Children End Successfully, Inc., Kennesaw, GA, $25,000
- Marcus Jewish Community Center of Atlanta, Inc., Dunwoody, GA, $50,000
- Moving In The Spirit, Atlanta, GA, $15,000
- Street Soccer USA, Inc., New York, NY, $45,000
- Third Street Community Center, San Jose, CA , $25,000
Additional grants are focused on programs that build environmental sustainability in local communities, with $308,000 supporting water stewardship programs; $325,000 supporting recycling and $50,000 supporting an environmental project.
The remaining grants are aimed at benefitting education and community initiatives -- $25,000 will go towards a community involvement program and $1.06 million will support education and scholarship programs.
About The Coca-Cola Foundation
The Coca-Cola Foundation awarded more than $70 million to 263 community organizations around the world in 2011 to support sustainable community initiatives, including water stewardship, community recycling, active, healthy living, and education. For more information about The Coca-Cola Foundation, please go to www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/the-coca-cola-foundation.
About The Coca-Cola Company
More on Journey
- The Coca-Cola System in China Completes Definitive Agreement to Reshape Bottling Operations in China
- The Coca-Cola Foundation and The Coca-Cola Company Give Back $106 Million to More Than 230 Organizations Globally
- Coca-Cola's Global One Brand Strategy and Sprite® Make Big Game Debut
- Coca-Cola's Statement Regarding CSPI Lawsuit
- Coca-Cola Celebrates “Unsung Heroes” in New Holiday Campaign