I interviewed Dr. Jesse Lewis, the man who hired Mary Alexander as the first African American model to appear in Coca-Cola advertising in 1955. Dr. Lewis has a very long and distinguished history in advertising, with Coca-Cola interwoven throughout his story. He was Public Relations Representative for the Birmingham Coca-Cola Bottling Company when he wrote the letter above to Mary Alexander regarding her role in Coke history as it were. As I interviewed him, I wondered the same thing that I have been trying to figure out about Mary Alexander as well: What is the secret to looking so great and having so much energy at their age? As Dr. Lewis confirms in this video, it must be Coca-Cola!
More on Journey
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History
- Honoring a Native Son: Coca-Cola Exhibit, Panel Pay Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and His Nobel Peace Prize
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- How Italy Celebrates Carnival