You may have seen in the news recently that entertainer Eddie Fisher passed away on Wednesday at age 82. Eddie Fisher was the star of the first television series sponsored by The Coca-Cola Company. "Coke Time with Eddie Fisher," which began broadcast in 1953, was very popular, but, in the early 1950's fewer that 50% of the population had television sets. To expand the audience, the show was transcribed for radio. While the television show was sponsored by the Company, the local bottlers were responsible for the radio version. Even though Fisher had completed his radio and television work for Coke by 1957, a special record promotion featuring six of his most famous songs sold over 500,000 copies.
More on Journey
- Primary Color: Why Sprite Has Sported Green Since 1961
- Coca-Cola Named Official Soft Drink of Major League Baseball in Digital-Driven Partnership
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display