Tonight the 12th season of American Idol debuts on FOX to 15.6 million viewers anxious to see a star born. As many viewers know, Coca-Cola has been a sponsor since the show's launch in 2000, but here are some fun facts about Coke's collaboration with American Idol.
- The traditional green room where celebrities hang out before the show started with Coca-Cola and to this day is still dubbed the "red room" featuring the famous Coca-Cola red.
- The Coke Couch, which features the Coca-Cola signature ribbon swooped along the back and used to be onstage during the show, is now located in our "Collectors Corner" at the World of Coca-Cola.
- In 2011 and 2012 Coca-Cola created songs featuring American Idol fans' lyrics to be performed on the show's season finales. In the last two years, award-winning pop music artists have been a part of bringing fans' lyrics to life.
- In 2013 Coke will sponsor exclusive behind-the-scenes content online at www.americanidol.com, providing fans with an inside look at the contestant experience. And fans who redeem Coca-Cola My Coke Rewards packaging codes at www.mycokerewards.com will have a chance to instantly win prizes like the new Coca-Cola American Idol cup and trips to the show's finale.
- As part of Coca-Cola's new "Be OK" campaign, we are using the power of the American Idol audience to spread the word about exactly how many calories are in a can of Coca-Cola. Beginning January 17, 2013, you can see the campaign here.
More on Journey
- How Coca-Cola Chile Got More Consumers Trying Coke Zero
- 10 Years Strong: Coca-Cola’s Venturing & Emerging Brands Takes on New Territory
- Quincey at CAGNY: 'We Are Going to Be a Total Beverage Company'
- Coca-Cola 'One Brand' Strategy Hits Stride in South Africa
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem