On May 8, 1886, a pharmacist named Dr. John Pemberton introduced Coca-Cola at Jacobs' Pharmacy in downtown Atlanta, where it sold for 5 cents a glass.
Today, more than 1.4 billion servings of our products are enjoyed every day -- nearly a million servings every minute. But in our first year, 1886, we sold an average of 9 drinks a day.
Today, Coca-Cola is available in more than 200 countries around the world. In 1886, Coca-Cola was available in one city in one country.
Today, our Company offers more than 400 brands. In 1886 (and in fact until the 1950s), we offered just one -- Coca-Cola.
Quite a change from our humble beginnings more than 120 years ago!
More on Journey
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Meet Shirley Hasley: The Accidental Coke Model Who Helped Make History