With the new Batman “The Dark Knight” and “Mamma Mia” movies opening on Friday, I’ve looked in our Coke archives of commercials and found a few rather interesting ones.
Turns out Batman and Pierce Brosnan were paired with diet Coke in the 1980s – though not at the same time!
While he didn’t sing in our diet Coke ads, like he does in Mamma Mia, Brosnan did put his action-star traits to good use. (These commercials are from 1986 to 1988, so this was even before his James Bond days!) In ads called “Ninja” and “Train,” Brosnan smoothly fights ninjas first while dining with a beautiful woman in a restaurant and then even while dangling outside a moving train!
In 1989’s “Gotham Corner Store” commercial, Batman used the Batmobile to pick up diet Coke from the store. I guess that’s one way to have fun doing errands!
And in case you really know your Coca-Cola promotions, Batman (even Catwoman!) also starred in ads for Coca-Cola classic in the early 1990s.
Do you have a favorite diet Coke commercial?
More on Journey
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History
- Rio de Janeiro: The Enchanted Kingdom of Two Carnivals
- How Coca-Cola Brands Make it to the Big (or Small) Screen
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests