Get festive with this fruity seasonal loaf.
- 1.25 Cup Diet Coke
- 1 Cup dried, pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- .25 Cup dried sour cherries
- .25 Cup dried blueberries
- 4 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Cup self-rising flour
- 2 Teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- .33 Cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Total Time: 1 hr 25 min
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Grease and base line a loaf and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the Diet Coke in a medium pan until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in dates, baking soda, then stir in the cherries, cranberries and honey. Mix well and allow to cool. Sift the flour with the spices, then add to the cooled date mixture. Stir in the eggs and nuts. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1-1¼ hours, or until a fork inserted into the middle comes out clean, covering with foil if the cake becomes too brown. Leave to cool in loaf pan. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Makes 10 slices.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 1¼ hours
More on Journey
- Nathan's Famous Turns 100: From Coney Island Hot Dog Stand to International Empire
- Watch: Artist Makes Custom Chandeliers for Chick-fil-A Using Glass Coca-Cola Bottles
- Home Run Eats: SunTrust Park Offers Braves Country a Taste of Atlanta
- What Do Coca-Cola, Cracker Barrel, Cake and Camouflage Have in Common? Supporting Service Members, Naturally.
- 16 Features From 2016 That Are Worth a Second Look