This easy recipe pairs the other white meat with apple, citrus, ginger, Coca-Cola and more to produce a succulent entree suitable for any night of the week.
- 4 rib, loin or shoulder pork chops or smoked pork chops, 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- .125 Teaspoon pepper
- .12 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium apple
- 1 medium lemon or orange
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- .5 Cup Coca-Cola
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Trim fat from chops, then brown them on each side in ungreased skillet. Lay chops in shallow baking pan. Do not overlap. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and ginger. Core unpeeled apple, cut crosswise into 4 thick slices. Cut lemon (or orange) into 4 slices; remove seeds. Lay lemon slices atop apple slices and place on each chop. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Pour Coca-Cola around chops. Cover tightly. Bake in moderate oven, 350°F for 45 minutes. For the sauce: Blend corn starch with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Stir into meat juices. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until meat is fork-tender. Spoon sauce over fruit chops to glaze.
Makes 4 (1 chop) servings.
More on Journey
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Pay Like a Boss With Coca-Cola’s BillBoss: An Internal Innovation Story
- King of Pops Pays Homage to Atlanta Neighbor With Coke Float Pop (Recipe Included)
- The Story of a Charleston, S.C. Restaurant and its Legendary Coca-Cola Cake
- Nathan's Famous Turns 100: From Coney Island Hot Dog Stand to International Empire