- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 6 oz. each)
- .5 Cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 Teaspoon kosher salt, more as needed
- 2 Cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- .5 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 Clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon garam masala or curry powder*
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 piece of ginger, peeled and chopped (2-inch)
- Total Time: 3 hr 35 min
- Prep Time: 3 hr 30 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, place chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound to ½ -inch thickness. Transfer chicken breasts to a resealable plastic bag. Blend ⅓ cup oil, 2 tsp. salt, and all remaining ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Pour yogurt mixture over chicken (reserving about ½ cup), seal bag, and turn chicken to coat. Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight. Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Brush grill grate with oil. Scrape excess marinade off chicken; season with salt. Grill chicken, turning once, until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165°F, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve with reserved marinade as a dipping sauce.
Serves 6 to 8.
*Garam masala, an Indian spice blend, is sold in the spice section of many supermarkets and at Indian markets.
Excerpted from The Grilling Book: The Definitive Guide from Bon Appétit, edited by Adam Rapoport (Andrews McMeel Publishing, May 2013)