- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 pounds heritage pork cheeks, cartilage and sinew removed (or substitute pork-shoulder medallions)
- ¼ pound carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup leeks, chopped
- ½ cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic head cut in half
- 2 cups coca cola
- ¼ cup bourbon
- Juice of two oranges
- Zest of one orange
- 3 tablespoons sorghum syrup (or substitute molasses)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups veal or pork stock (or substitute chicken stock)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottom braising pan over medium-high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Add the cheeks to the pan and sear until well caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add carrots, leeks, onions and garlic and saute until tender and browned. Return pork cheeks to the pan. Add coke, sorghum bourbon, orange juice, zest, mustard, mustard powder, bay leaf, thyme and stock. Bring liquid to simmer.
- Cover pan and transfer to oven. Cook until cheeks are tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Remove pan from oven and let rest 10 minutes.
- Remove pork cheeks and set aside. Skim fat off the top of the liquid and strain liquid into a medium saucepan. Simmer on low heat for and additional 10 minutes. Add pork cheeks and simmer for an additional five minutes.
More on Journey
- A Monstrous Mashup: 13 Halloween Stories From the Coca-Cola Journey Archives
- Find Your Match: Coca-Cola Freestyle Food Pairings Make Your Meals Pop
- This Michigan Diner Has 12,000 Pieces of Coca-Cola Memorabilia
- The Story of a Charleston, S.C. Restaurant and its Legendary Coca-Cola Cake
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria