This dish riffs off of a classic flavor profile that many people think of when they hear "sweet potatoes."
Coca-Cola and brown sugar caramelize in the oven, while butter, vanilla and classic spices combine to taste like nostalgia.
- 2 Pound sweet potatoes chopped into eighths
Coca-Cola(less for a drier dish)
- .5 Teaspoon salt
- .25 Teaspoon grated nutmeg
- .25 Teaspoon cinnamon
- .125 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cloves
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring all ingredients except for butter and sweet potatoes to a boil in a large oven-friendly pot. Turn heat down to medium and stir in butter and sweet potatoes. Bring back up to a boil, remove from heat, cover and place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove lid and bake until tender.
More on Journey
- The Big Business of Beef Jerky: How a Snack Food Once Eaten by Pirates and Hunter-Gatherers Became the Darling of the Gourmet Food World
Coca-ColaFans Dress Up as Their Beloved Brand for Halloween
- Pineapple-Blackberry Rojo Sangria
- Culinary Caravans: Food Truck Festivals Bring Fresh Eats to the Masses
- 10 Must-Have Spring Picnic Essentials