This is our own
Though the eight cloves of garlic the recipe calls for might sound excessive, trust us. You'll like the way it turns out. And the fish sauce, also known as nam pla, is entirely optional, but adds an authentic flavor. You can find it in any specialty store that sells international foods.
Once the meat in this recipe is fully cooked, we recommend letting it cool before hand-pulling (or else using tongs and gloves). Then heat it back up right before service time.
How do we recommend you serve this beef? The variations are endless. But in the test kitchen, we served up a bowl of shredded meat with toasted soft wheat tortillas and condiments on the side, allowing eaters to construct their own (this recipe will likely serve a family of four reasonable eaters).On the side, we served fresh cilantro sprigs, thinly sliced cucumbers and red onions marinated in seasoned rice wine vinegar and sprinkled with sesame seeds as well as julienned carrots, also marinated in rice wine vinegar. Kimchi, a fermented cabbage condiment standard in Korean food, also makes a nice addition.
- 1 Inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 8 Clove garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 diced yellow Onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/3 Cup soy
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 Pound braising beef, such as chuck roast
- 1 splash fish sauce
- Total Time: 8 hr 20 min
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 8 hr
- Combine all ingredients except for onions and beef in bowl and set aside. If using slow cooker with a saute function, brown beef on each side first (or brown on all sides in skillet and transfer to slow cooker). Saute the onions in beef drippings (in skillet or slow-cooker with saute function). Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for eight hours. If you're strapped for time, simply throw everything directly in the slow cooker and flip the switch to low.
More on Journey
- King of Pops Pays Homage to Atlanta Neighbor With Coke Float Pop (Recipe Included)
- Coca-Cola Surprises Uber VIPs in Atlanta and New Orleans with Celebrity Chefs’ Ultimate Food Pairings
A Monstrous Mashup: 13 Halloween Stories From the
A Slice of
Coca-ColaHistory: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
Chefs Aarón Sánchez, Roblé Ali Dish On Why
Coca-ColaComplements Any Meal