Kent "The Deck Chef" Whitaker, author of more than one dozen cookbooks including "Smoke in the Mountains," believes just about anything can be grilled. Whitaker's signature dessert, grilled pound cake, is proof of the versatility of the grill. It can be made with scratch or store-bought pound cake and an assortment of fruits. Though the recipe calls for sliced strawberries and strawberry ice cream, we recommend adding blueberries and substituting vanilla ice cream for the strawberry for a more red, white and blue-themed treat.
- 1 Bottle Non-stick spray
- 4 Pound cake slices
- 1 Bottle Spray butter
- 4 Tablespoon Brown sugar (optional)
- 4 Scoop Strawberry Ice cream
- 2 Cup Sliced strawberries
- 4 Tablespoon Strawberry syrup
- 4 Tablespoon Toasted, sliced almonds
- Total Time: 15 min
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- If you fear placing slices of pound cake directly on a grill, try using a grilling basket or use a sheet of heavy duty foil to make a griddle like surface. Use the non stick spray to lightly coat the grill or foil as it heats up. Use spray butter or melted butter to lightly coat each slice of pound cake. Grill until edges are browned and the slice is heated evenly. If desired, sprinkle the slices lightly with brown sugar before removing from the grill. Place a slice on a plate, top with ice cream, sliced berries, drizzle with strawberry syrup and top with almonds.