Greens are eaten for good luck in the New Year seemingly everywhere. Some lore has it that it's because the greens look like folded money (please don't eat your actual money).
Greens have practical applications, too. Kale, a cousin of collards, is increasingly popular for its health benefits. The leafy greens, which can be eaten cooked or raw, are high in iron, vitamins, calcium and low in calories and fat.
But health doesn't have to mean austerity; in this recipe for kale salad, we've mixed in half a cup of shredded cheese. We've also added pumpkin seeds for crunch and pomegranate seeds, which add brightness, too.
Eaten by Mediterraneans in the New Year to ensure prosperity and a long life, pomegranates are nutrient dense and heart healthy, and support mental clarity.
- 1 bunch kale (look for Lacinato. Optional: mix with red-leaf kale for extra vitamin power)
- .5 Teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- .5 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh-ground pepper to taste
- .5 Cup finely-grated Parmesan, asiago or manchego cheese
- .5 Cup roasted pumpkin seeds/pepitas
- .5 Cup pomegranate seeds
- Total Time: 10 min
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: N/A
- Wash kale leaves and then strip from stem, trying to keep leaves as whole as possible. Roll leaves into a tight cigar shape and slice thinly, crosswise. This is called “chiffonade.” Combine sliced kale, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Work salt into the leaves to help break down the fibers. Toss with cheese, nuts and fruit. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve.
More on Journey
- Carhop To It: 5 Classic American Drive-In Restaurants
- Coca-Cola Surprises Uber VIPs in Atlanta and New Orleans with Celebrity Chefs’ Ultimate Food Pairings
- King of Pops Pays Homage to Atlanta Neighbor With Coke Float Pop (Recipe Included)
- Decoding Day of the Dead: A Look at Cherished Traditions and New Twists on the Latin American Holiday
- Creative Coca-Cola Fans Dress Up as Their Beloved Brand for Halloween