Vinegar gives a kickstart to the pickling process in these quick and easy pickles, guaranteeing success. If you’ve never tried fermenting pickles, this is definitely the recipe to start with. You can multiply this recipe as many times as you like, but these pickles are best enjoyed after one to two weeks, so it makes sense to make small batches as cucumber season progresses, explains Chesman.
Makes about 2 quarts.
- 4 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoon pickling or fine sea salt
- .5 Cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 dill head or 6 sprigs fresh dill
- 4 Clove garlic, peeled
- 8 Cup whole pickling cucumbers
- Total Time: 35 min
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Heat water and salt in a saucepan, stirring until salt is fully dissolved. Add white vinegar and let cool to room temperature. Slice 1/16-inch off the blossom end of each cucumber. Cut into spears. Pack a clean 2-quart canning jar or crock with dill, garlic, and cucumbers, in that order. Add the brine you made in step 1, filling the jar to the very top. Loosely cover the top with the canning lid and band but do not tighten the band. Arrange them so that one cucumber is wedged in horizontally; this keeps the others from rising toward the top. Set the jar on a saucer and store where the temperature will remain constant: 65° to 75°F is ideal. The pickles will be ready in 2 to 3 days, although full flavor will not be reached for 5 to 7 days. If your kitchen is reasonably cool, you may be able to leave the pickles out for up to 2 weeks, but if the brine starts to become cloudy, refrigerate immediately to prevent spoiling. The flavor of the dill and garlic will continue to develop. The pickles will keep for at least 3 months in the refrigerator.
Makes about 2 quarts.
Recipe adapted from The Pickled Pantry by Andrea Chesman (Storey Publishing). All rights reserved. ©2012 Andrea Chesman.
More on Journey
Chefs Aarón Sánchez, Roblé Ali Dish On Why
Coca-ColaComplements Any Meal
- Home Run Eats: SunTrust Park Offers Braves Country a Taste of Atlanta
- #JxJNashville: Meet the Characters of Music City
- 16 Features From 2016 That Are Worth a Second Look
- Georgia’s Porch Light Latin Kitchen Rallies for Puerto Rican Hurricane Relief