On May 8th, 1886, 123 years ago today, Coca-Cola was first served in Atlanta, Georgia. Dr. John Stith Pemberton, a local pharmacist, produced the syrup for Coca-Cola, and carried a jug of the new product down the street to Jacobs' Pharmacy, where it was sampled, pronounced "excellent" and placed on sale for five cents a glass as a soda fountain drink.
Happy Birthday Coca-Cola!
More on Journey
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola: From Classic to New Coke and Back Again
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History