On May 8th, 1886, 123 years ago today, Coca-Cola was first served in Atlanta, Georgia. Dr. John Stith Pemberton, a local pharmacist, produced the syrup for Coca-Cola, and carried a jug of the new product down the street to Jacobs' Pharmacy, where it was sampled, pronounced "excellent" and placed on sale for five cents a glass as a soda fountain drink.
Happy Birthday Coca-Cola!
More on Journey
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Celebrating the Champs: The Storied History of Coke's Commemorative Sports Cans (and Bottles)
- Why the Coca-Cola Archives is Digitizing More than 6,000 Analog Tapes
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler
- Rio de Janeiro: The Enchanted Kingdom of Two Carnivals