40 years ago today, July 7th 1971, the famous Hilltop commercial featuring the jingle, "I'd Like to buy the World a Coke" first aired in the U.S. The jingle had been released as a radio spot in February of that year and the television version released in England in late June. The release of the ad in the U.S. caused an immediate and dramatic response as consumers wrote the Company begging to see it again. The complete history of the ad is available at this Library of Congress site. I conducted a video oral history with two of the members of the New Seekers who recorded the song, and I hope to share a recap video in a few weeks, but in the meanwhile, enjoy this color corrected and restored version of the ad from our YouTube Channel.
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests
- 5 Artists Who Will Transform How You See Coca-Cola
- Driving Home the Message of Atlanta's Civil Rights Legacy
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History