One of the things I do on the weekends is cook out. (My wife Kathy is a great cook, but I have both a gas grill and smoker that get extensive use over the weekend.) Growing up in Massachusetts, there weren’t too many months we could be outside – let alone cook outside – but in Atlanta I can use the grill almost every month of the year.
Recipes using Coke as an ingredient are really very popular. I found this one for BBQ sauce. The sweetness of Coke adds a nice touch to the sauce. Give it a try the next time you’re cooking out!
If you have a recipe using Coke, Sprite, Minute Maid juices or another drink, please send it to me: http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/food/recipes/
Thick Barbecue Sauce
2 medium onions
3/4 cup Coca-Cola
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Shred or blender-chop onions. Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover pan; reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes until sauce is very thick. Stir occasionally.
Makes about 2 cups. To serve, heat frankfurters in sauce or spoon sauce over cooked burgers.
More on Journey
- Video: A Day in the Life of Coke's In-House Art Curator
- 5 Artists Who Will Transform How You See Coca-Cola
- Rio de Janeiro: The Enchanted Kingdom of Two Carnivals
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests