With colder weather coming in my part of the world, I thought I’d share the recipe for this cabbage dish. It sounds like a great warm side dish to serve on a cold night.
Even if cabbage isn’t your favorite, you might want to give this a second look. Adding apples, brown sugar, Coke and bacon drippings to anything has to be good!
Coca-Cola Sweet-Sour Cabbage
About 1.5 lbs red or green cabbage
2 medium apples
1/2 cup Coca-Cola
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. bacon drippings
1 tsp. salt
1/2 to 1 tsp. caraway seeds
Coarsely shred or cut cabbage (should measure 3 cups). Core and dice unpeeled apples. In pan, toss together all ingredients. Cover, simmer until cabbage is tender, about 25 minutes; stir occasionally.
Makes 4 (1/2 cup) servings.
I haven’t had a chance to try this recipe yet. If you make this dish, please tell me if you liked it!
More on Journey
- 5 Artists Who Will Transform How You See Coca-Cola
- Video: A Day in the Life of Coke's In-House Art Curator
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- How Coca-Cola Brands Make it to the Big (or Small) Screen