Today is diet Coke's 26th birthday. We introduced diet Coke in the U.S. on this day in 1982, and made soft-drink history in doing so.
Naming the brand "diet Coke" marked the first extension of the trademarks "Coca-Cola" and "Coke" (the first time we used those names on a drink that wasn't Coca-Cola itself).
For our first diet beverage in 1963, called TaB, the Company felt that the word "diet" before Coca-Cola might weaken the Coke brand. So instead they chose TaB, a name with no connection to Coca-Cola.
I guess that goes to show that we don't always know everything! Within two years, diet Coke became the top low-calorie soft drink in the world and the most successful new soft drink since Coca-Cola itself had been introduced. (And I'm proud to say diet Coke is still the No. 1 diet drink!)
I didn't have my blog last year for diet Coke's 25th anniversary, but we did celebrate! A member of my team went to Canada for the birthday, and even had to sing the "introducing diet Coke" theme during a radio interview there! If I had a tape of that interview, it would be part of this post!
More on Journey
- 10 Artists, 10 Bottles and 10 Stories: Meet the Atlantans Behind World of Coca-Cola’s Newest Exhibit
- Primary Color: Why Sprite Has Sported Green Since 1961
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Step Inside the Walmart Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas