If you’re like me (and many, many others), you’re getting ready to see the "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" movie this weekend.
Did you know that in 1990 diet Coke had a promotion with the third Indiana Jones movie when it came out on home video? (Yes, at the time it was only video – no DVDs!)
We had two ads – Part I and Part II – showing a harrowing journey to the kitchen, mixed in with scenes from “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.” A woman goes to the fridge to get a drink and, with Jones’ help, fights to return to the living room with a diet Coke. Indy even saves the day – and the can of diet Coke – with his whip.
More on Journey
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- Meet Shirley Hasley: The Accidental Coke Model Who Helped Make History
- Primary Color: Why Sprite Has Sported Green Since 1961
- Celebrating the Champs: The Storied History of Coke's Commemorative Sports Cans (and Bottles)