Happy August to the golfers out there. (Personally, that’s not a sport I've played. I referee soccer, but have never gotten into golf -- even when my wife talked about taking lessons!)
Golf has appeared in Coca-Cola advertising since almost the brand's beginning. This magazine ad is actually from August 1905. I've often said that you can trace fashions, hobbies and culture through the years simply by looking at Coke's advertising. Having golf in our ads so early on (let alone looking at the outfits they're wearing!) is a good example of that.
If you're a Coca-Cola collector, you may be familiar with a different Coke and golf piece. Bobby Jones was one of the athletes featured in the 1949 All Time Sports Greats series. Today, that Bobby Jones cardboard piece is valued at around $500 for a sign in good condition.
More on Journey
- Meet Mr K: Fred Kirkpatrick, 97, Celebrates 80 Years With Coca-Cola
- Driving Home the Message of Atlanta's Civil Rights Legacy
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive