Did you know that in the 1950s, a number of Coke ads featured famous African-American sports champions? Among them were Larry Doby, the first Black baseball player in the American League; Chicago Cubs Hall of Fame first baseman Ernie Banks; and Olympians Jesse Owens and Alice Coachman. In fact, we have each of these ads on display at the New World of Coca-Cola.
More on Journey
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- Honoring a Native Son: Coca-Cola Exhibit, Panel Pay Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and His Nobel Peace Prize
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Why the Coca-Cola Archives is Digitizing More than 6,000 Analog Tapes
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests