For last week’s Friday Fun contest, my team asked you to send a clever caption for this 1947 photo showing delivery by bicycle cart.
To use my own pun, you all really delivered!
We received a record number of captions!
- When they told me I'd be peddling Coca-Cola, I didn't think they meant literally!
- I don't care how much they pay me, I am NOT delivering up that mountain!!
- The ice cream man is a weenie!
- The faster I drink - the lighter the load
- This week in Coca-Cola history: 1st ever coke bicycle delivery guy, later to be shut down for drinking all the product!
- The Coca-Cola Company may have introduced the first plastic Coke bottle in 1969, but this kid was thinking about it in 1947!
- After Mr. Woodruff caught LeRoy drinking a P***I, his punishment was peddling the cart for two weeks instead of driving his route truck.
- Delicious and Refreshing Coca-Cola ... along the highway to anywhere, even delivered on a bicycle cart. Where there's Coke there's hospitality.
- Boy, I'm sure glad I ran my mouth about losing a couple pounds?
- I hope I don't sell ALL these Cokes, 'cause I sure am working up a thirst.
- Fueled By Coca-Cola
- Did you hear about the Coca-Cola powered car? No this isn’t what they had in mind.
- Jump aboard the "Coke Cycle"
- If you think this is funny, the Pepsi man is on a skateboard!
- I don’t care what gas prices are! This is bull!
- Well at least I'm not walking like the Pepsi deliveryman!
- Through rain, sleet, bad economy, and high gas prices, there's nothing like the real thing.
- There he goes, peddling under the influence of Coke again.
- I know that things go better with Coke but...
- This is Coke's answer to people who insist on drinking and driving!
- This is a real UPO sighting!!!! UNIDENTIFIED PEDDLING OBJECT!
- As the first Honolulu patrol officers arrived at the empty bicycle cart, Johnny told them: "I'd like to report a crime and, um, I'm thirsty for more!"
- Want a coke? Watch for the delivery man!
- The more Coke I drink, the easier it is to pedal!
- Aloha! Welcome to Hawaii! I am Dennis your friendly Coca-Cola delivery Boy. For a nickel you may Have a Coke so I don't drink them all.
- 30 years from now, peddling Coke would get me 15-20 years, in the Big House!
- The young Freddie in action. Thirsty years ahead, the whole world would sing along: "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike - I want to ride it where I like."
- Original slogan "DRINK COCA-COLA IN SPORTS BOTTLES" was too long to fit the cart.
- Do you wonder where the Coca-Cola management got the idea for their “Exercise & Healthy Living” campaign? Oh, yeah!
- The flex-fuel vehicle of the future has arrived: the Coke-mobile.
- "Peddling" is thirsty work!
And the winner is: “When they told me I'd be peddling Coca-Cola, I didn't think they meant literally!” sent in by Ray. Congratulations! You’ll receive a prize from my Coca-Cola “goodie closet.”
Thanks to everyone who sent us a caption. Let’s keep up this participation!
And I hope you’ll come back tomorrow for the next Friday Fun contest.
More on Journey
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- Meet Shirley Hasley: The Accidental Coke Model Who Helped Make History
- Driving Home the Message of Atlanta's Civil Rights Legacy
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement