A 1932 promotion enlisted Ida Bailey Allen, an international authority on food and home entertaining, to encourage people to buy Coca-Cola. The promotion encouraged women to serve Coke in their homes by focusing on the home as a place for entertaining.
The promotion offered a new Allen book, “When You Entertain – What to Do, and How,” for 10 cents a copy. From June to December in 1932, roughly 375,000 people responded to Coca-Cola advertisements offering the book.
A “When You Entertain” display piece is featured in the New World of Coca-Cola in the Milestones section. We even bought period food packaging to go in it!
More on Journey
- Primary Color: Why Sprite Has Sported Green Since 1961
- Dispensing Refreshment: These Innovations Have Helped Spread the Enjoyment of Coca-Cola Through the Years
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler
- Rio de Janeiro: The Enchanted Kingdom of Two Carnivals
- 2,000 Pieces and 28 Years Later: Life-Sized Coke Puzzle Nears Completion