A 1932 promotion enlisted Ida Bailey Allen, an international authority on food and home entertaining, to encourage people to buy Coca-Cola. The promotion encouraged women to serve Coke in their homes by focusing on the home as a place for entertaining.
The promotion offered a new Allen book, “When You Entertain – What to Do, and How,” for 10 cents a copy. From June to December in 1932, roughly 375,000 people responded to Coca-Cola advertisements offering the book.
A “When You Entertain” display piece is featured in the New World of Coca-Cola in the Milestones section. We even bought period food packaging to go in it!
More on Journey
- Coca-Cola Named Official Soft Drink of Major League Baseball in Digital-Driven Partnership
- How Italy Celebrates Carnival
- Primary Color: Why Sprite Has Sported Green Since 1961
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- 10 Artists, 10 Bottles and 10 Stories: Meet the Atlantans Behind World of Coca-Cola’s Newest Exhibit