When we interviewed "Mean" Joe Greene last year to capture the oral history of how his famous ad was made, he mentioned to me that he had never received his CLIO award for the commercial. The commercial was awarded two CLIOS in 1980, one for best ad and a second for best male performance. Somehow, Joe never got the hardware. We have been working with the CLIO people, and it has taken a few months, but Joe is going to receive his statuette this weekend at the Steelers game. We should be able to post some video footage of the ceremony next week.
Here is a USA Today article on the celebration.
More on Journey
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- How Coca-Cola Brands Make it to the Big (or Small) Screen
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler
- Honoring a Native Son: Coca-Cola Exhibit, Panel Pay Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and His Nobel Peace Prize