When we interviewed "Mean" Joe Greene last year to capture the oral history of how his famous ad was made, he mentioned to me that he had never received his CLIO award for the commercial. The commercial was awarded two CLIOS in 1980, one for best ad and a second for best male performance. Somehow, Joe never got the hardware. We have been working with the CLIO people, and it has taken a few months, but Joe is going to receive his statuette this weekend at the Steelers game. We should be able to post some video footage of the ceremony next week.
Here is a USA Today article on the celebration.
More on Journey
- Sitting In and Standing Up: Unsung Heroes of Civil Rights Movement Reflect on Soda Fountain Protests
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- 10 Artists, 10 Bottles and 10 Stories: Meet the Atlantans Behind World of Coca-Cola’s Newest Exhibit
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler