On December 28, 1959, this Coca-Cola Santa print ad appeared in Life Magazine. It features Santa Claus at the refrigerator being watched as he opens a bottle of Coke. This ad also appeared in The Saturday Evening Post, Boys' Life, National Geographic, Time, Sports Illustrated and Good Housekeeping, among others. This surprised Santa is also featured on the December 1959 page of the calendar below.
If you enlarge the image, you may be able to see the fine print at the top of the calendar, which reads, "Please do not tear off this page - turn calendar over for 1960." This is actually the December 1959 page of the 1960 Coca-Cola Calendar that some of you may have in your collection. The Santa scene is slightly different in the image on the calendar versus the magazine ad, as you may also notice.
More on Journey
- Honoring a Native Son: Coca-Cola Exhibit, Panel Pay Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and His Nobel Peace Prize
- Celebrating the Champs: The Storied History of Coke's Commemorative Sports Cans (and Bottles)
- Meet Shirley Hasley: The Accidental Coke Model Who Helped Make History
- How Coca-Cola Brands Make it to the Big (or Small) Screen
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives