In 1896, The Coca-Cola Company embarked on a program of offering award premiums to the fountain operators selling our beverage. Among the items offered as premiums were these porcelain dispensers, which, in essence, were not entirely dispensers as they are known today, but rather were promotional units designed for the point of sale.
The dispensers were made by the Wheeling Pottery Company, Wheeling, West Virginia. These units dispensed the syrup by gravity flow through a faucet placed beneath the bowl. They were an ornament for the soda fountain and were shaped and elaborately designed reflecting late Victorian motifs.
We have two of them on display at the World of Coca-Cola. Has anyone seen both?