On this date, June 22, in 1982 The Coca-Cola Company entered the entertainment industry by completing its acquisition of Columbia Pictures. The press release issued said "the entertainment industry is poised for significant growth in the years ahead, and Columbia Pictures is one of the creative and financial stars of the entertainment industry." This purchase means that I have some pretty interesting artifacts in our collection including the Oscar for the movie Gandhi which is on display at the World of Coca-Cola. Our appetite for the entertainment industry and its growth was tempered when the movie Ishtar bombed and we sold Columbia Pictures to Sony in 1989.
More on Journey
- 4 Fun, Little-Known Facts About Fanta
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Dispensing Refreshment: These Innovations Have Helped Spread the Enjoyment of Coca-Cola Through the Years
- Step Inside the Walmart Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive