On July 8, 1982, Diet Coke was introduced to the marketplace. Coca-Cola USA President Brian Dyson declared that it was "The most significant new product introduction in the entire 96 year history of The Coca-Cola Company." It was also the most carefully developed and researched product in our history at the time. 150 different graphic designs were considered before we landed on the final desired look, and you can scan through the milestones of Diet Coke's history by clicking here. Also, I always laugh when I see the photos of these very 1980s promotional items that we produced along with the launch.
More on Journey
- Celebrating the Champs: The Storied History of Coke's Commemorative Sports Cans (and Bottles)
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- Honoring a Native Son: Coca-Cola Exhibit, Panel Pay Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and His Nobel Peace Prize
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement