As we come to the end of the football playoffs and we prepare to enter Black History month, this poster in the World of Coca-Cola is relevant for both. You'll find this 1953 poster in the loft area at the New World of Coke, which is decked out with Coke memorabilia from over a century. It features Pro Football Hall of Famers Marion Motley, Bill Willis and Emlen Tunnell, and Leonard Ford. If you get close enough to read the fine print, you'll see that Motley is called a "Powerful Fullback", Willis a "Panther-Like Guard", Tunnell a "Spectacular Safety Man" and Ford a "Giant Wingman." Motley and Willis were also the first to break pro football's color barrier.
More on Journey
- From One Fan to Another: The Story Behind Unbox Therapy's Coca-Cola Cooler
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Rio de Janeiro: The Enchanted Kingdom of Two Carnivals
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement