30 years ago during the big game, the all-time fan favorite Mean Joe Greene commercial aired while his team went on to take the victory. Last year, we did a two part (Part 1, Part 2) interview with him about the making of the commercial and he told us that the boy who starred in the commercial with him, Tommy Okun, got the actual jersey used during the filming. Did you know that you too also could have had a Mean Joe jersey? This poster, which is in the World of Coca-Cola's sports and entertainment Milestones Gallery, was part of the Joe Greene "Wear my number and name" promotion. For only $7.99 with the purchase of Coke, thousands of fans also wore #75. You can also see the famous Mean Joe Greene "Early Showers" commercial in the Advertising Theater.
One other tidbit that amazed me was when Joe told me that he was the second choice for the ad and that Roger Staubach was the first choice. As much as I liked Roger, I do not think the ad would have had the same power and impression as it did with Joe.
More on Journey
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- ‘What is Coca-Cola?’ Why the Brand Has Appeared on Jeopardy! 200+ Times
- Primary Color: Why Sprite Has Sported Green Since 1961
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- Honoring a Native Son: Coca-Cola Exhibit, Panel Pay Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and His Nobel Peace Prize