When I travel, I always note and quite often stop to photograph old Coke signs or vending equipment I run across. As I was leaving Mt. Rainier National Park while on vacation recently, I saw a great Coke sign to add to the collection. I could not help but notice the iron statutes all over the yard as I got out of the car to take the photograph. It turns out I had stumbled across Ex-Nihilo, the outdoor sculpture park for Recycled Spirits of Iron by artist Dan Klennert. I enjoyed the artwork and would have loved to have stayed longer, but after a day of hiking the mountain, it was time to move on. If your travels ever take you to Washington State, take a side trip down State Road 706 to enjoy the art, and, as Dan says, "Welcome into my imagination, please wipe your feet."
More on Journey
- Muhtar Kent Reflects on His Coca-Cola Journey and Legacy as Company’s 15th Chief Executive
- Meet Mr K: Fred Kirkpatrick, 97, Celebrates 80 Years With Coca-Cola
- Step Inside the Walmart Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas
- Driving Home the Message of Atlanta's Civil Rights Legacy
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem