40 years ago today, July 7th 1971, the famous Hilltop commercial featuring the jingle, "I'd Like to buy the World a Coke" first aired in the U.S. The jingle had been released as a radio spot in February of that year and the television version released in England in late June. The release of the ad in the U.S. caused an immediate and dramatic response as consumers wrote the Company begging to see it again. The complete history of the ad is available at this Library of Congress site. I conducted a video oral history with two of the members of the New Seekers who recorded the song, and I hope to share a recap video in a few weeks, but in the meanwhile, enjoy this color corrected and restored version of the ad from our YouTube Channel.
More on Journey
- A Slice of Coca-Cola History: Beloved Kentucky Bottling Plant Reborn as Mellow Mushroom Pizzeria
- Coca-Cola Salesman's Career in Mississippi Started During Civil Rights Movement
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- Video: Porsche Highlights Coca-Cola History in Jaw-Dropping Display
- Disney and Coca-Cola Archivists Swap Stories on Shared History