We acquired a fun item for the collection at The Coca-Cola Collectors Club silent auction during their recent Annual Convention held here in Atlanta.
This easel back cardboard piece from 1962 featured Auburn University head coach Shugg Jordan saying "What A Team" for the 1962 squad. The poster featured Coca-Cola and Alabama based Golden Flake Potato Chips.
The poster also has the complete schedule for the season when the War Eagles took on teams like Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Florida, Clemson, Georgia and finished the season with the "Iron Bowl" with Alabama. It was interesting to note that the in addition to the "Iron Bowl" the games vs. Tech and Tennessee were also played in Birmingham rather than Auburn. The Tigers went 6 - 3 - 1 with a loss in the Iron Bowl and a tie to Florida State. The team reached its highest ranking (10th) after beating Ga. Tech to get to 4 - 0.
Legendary Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant also had a sponsorship relationship with both Coca-Cola and Golden Flake Potato Chips.
More on Journey
- Meet Mr K: Fred Kirkpatrick, 97, Celebrates 80 Years With Coca-Cola
- Rio de Janeiro: The Enchanted Kingdom of Two Carnivals
- Ghost Signs Before They Were Ghosts: Preserving a Rare Photo Album for the Coca-Cola Archives
- The Story of Frank O'Hara's ‘Having a Coke With You’ Poem
- Meet Shirley Hasley: The Accidental Coke Model Who Helped Make History